Monday, April 11, 2011

My Day at the Tidepools


A few days ago we went to the beach to visit the tide pools.  It was lots of fun!


I saw some green, red, black, and yellow eels. They were slippery and fun.



 I saw hundreds and thousands of sea anemones.

 I even saw a Christmas Tree Anemone that was about a foot tall, but most of them were about ¼ of an inch tall. I saw and held many different kinds of sculpins. Some were quite pretty, and others weren't so much, but all were cute.
We saw three different kinds of nudibranchs, but the only species I know the name of was the Sea Lemon. We also saw lots of sea cucumbers. A lot of kelp was strewn about the rocks.  A giant purple sea star, about a foot in diameter, was stuck to one of the rocks.


 We saw many different types of crabs, including decorator crabs, porcelain crabs, green shore crabs, and red rock crabs. We saw many different kinds of chitons, but I don't know their names. We saw lots of snails,  including some bright orange snail eggs.


 Another interesting thing we saw was a little grey starfish protecting her eggs from any passerby.

 On the way back we saw a little cave in the rocks,and climbed about a hundred yards up to see it.  It was very damp and drippy inside.  I saw a few star fish inside.



After we went to the cave, we noticed the tide was coming in fast.



 We made it out just in time. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have been at the tidepools too. I enjoy seeing all the creatures. I'd like to see some nudibranchs again.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts.