Friday, May 6, 2011

Growing In Jesus

Okra seeds
Have you ever marveled at how a plant grows?  God has made plants to teach us lessons.  A little seed can grow into a giant tree.  Delicate, little green sprouts can push through a hard soil crust to reach sunlight.  God uses seeds to tell a parable about the kingdom of heaven.

Amazing, early spring seedlings pushing through the crusty, red soil of Arches National Park.  There was only one other green plant around.

Mark 4:30-32 (KJV)

 30 "And he said, Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?
 31 It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth:
 32 But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it."

Do seeds ever give up?

Why should I give up, if seeds don't?  God has a giant plan for all of us, even when we start out small, God wants to use us for big things.

Today when I was in the garden, I felt like giving up.  We had a seemingly never ending row to double dig.  I was the smallest out of all four diggers, and they were expecting me to get it done fast.  Mom told me I should pray, and after I did, I thought of a seed pushing through the soil, and then I decided if a seed could, I could, so I pushed my shovel through the soil.  I did my digging quickly after that.  In a few months we will have delicious potatoes to eat and I'll remember a little digging will give a lot of food.

1 comment:

  1. My dear brother, thank you for the very timely reminder. It was an encouragement to me today.

    I really like the perspective on the top photo! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts.